Private Codorníu Cellars Tour
Taste some cava in Codorníu cellars near Barcelona to discover this traditional Catalan wine.
- Duration: 4 h approx.
- Departure: Choose the time and we will meet you at your hotel or wherever suits you best.
- Guide: Officially-licensed local experts who love their job.
- Transport: Car or Private Coach depending on numbers.
- Price: From 520 €. Includes Licensed Guide, transport, entrance fee to Cordoníu Cellars and a taste of cava.
- Itinerary: Barcelona > Sant Sadurní d’Anoia > Codorníu cellars > Barcelona.
What to expect
Codorníu Cellars guided tour and wine tasting: Amidst the vineyards in the town of Sant Sadurní on the banks of the Anoia river, you will find some of the largest cellars in the world. The first bottle of Spanish cava was produced here in 1872.
This is the ideal place to follow the whole process from grape pressing to the labeling of the bottle. This wine ferments at least 9 months in the bottle, in the dark, still and constant temperature of the underground cellars. After a short video, we’ll visit the vast cellars in a small electric train.
The French invented the method and called it Champagne. In Spain wine made by the same method is called Cava. The varieties of grape are local: Xarel·lo, Macabeu and Parellada although lately Chardonnay has been introduced. Cava can be produced using one variety alone but a mixture is usually used – the coupage – to obtain a subtle mix of tastes and scents to which the winegrowers add their personal touch.